The Thespys are intended to be a non-competitive, educational program offering Festival delegates the opportunity to receive constructive feedback on prepared theatrical material and technical designs. The goal for participating students is to find their talent, strengths, and weaknesses and to grow as theatre artists. The assessment forms are the same as used by the Educational Theatre Association Thespys (www.schooltheatre.org). Students receiving Superior in the Louisiana Thespys and meet the guidelines for the Thespys are eligible to participate in the Thespys at the International Thespian Festival in Bloomington, IN during June. These guidelines can be found online at www.schooltheatre.org.
The top students from each event will receive a callback and the outstanding entry from each event will be selected by the judges to perform their selection during the Closing Ceremonies of the Festival on Saturday. Because the Closing Ceremonies will be cast with representatives of the highest quality performances of the Individual Events, each category may not be represented.
Students may choose from the following THESPYS: Monologue, Duet Acting, Group Acting, Solo Musical Theatre, Duet Musical Theatre, Group Musical Theatre, Stage Management, Lighting Design, Costume Design, Costume Construction, Sound Design, Theater Marketing, Short Film, Scenic Design, Prop Design, and Directing
The following are the only ways to qualify for Thespys at the Louisiana Thespian Conference:
1. Must be registered for the entire weekend of the Festival, and submit Thepsy by deadline on Open Water platform.
2. Must be an INDUCTED THESPIAN from his/her troupe.
3. Participants may be registered for only one solo performance one duo performance, and one group performance event.
4. All EdTA Rules and Regulations must be followed for each event.
5. Must complete Thespy Registration in Open water and pay an event fee of $15.00 at time of main registration.
6. Must meet the Festival deadline.
7. Each school may register as many as five (5) acts in the musical theatre performance Thespys and as many as five (5) acts in the acting performance Thespys. Technical theater, Musical Theatre Dance, Props Design and Directing entries are currently unlimited (students must still follow the 1 per performance type rule).
8. Only the Thespy participant and one director (or designated person) will be allowed in the room for each Thespy.
9. Substitutions of students are not allowed.
10. Consult the tentative schedule for the Thespy times.