Jr. Thespians Individual Events
The Louisiana Thespian Individual Events are intended to be a non-competitive, educational program offering Festival delegates the opportunity to receive constructive feedback on prepared theatrical material and technical designs. The goal for participating students is to find their talent, strengths, and weaknesses and to grow as theatre artists. The assessment forms are the same as used by the International Thespian Excellence Awards (Thespys) (www.schooltheatre.org). Students receiving 2 Superiors in the Louisiana Thespian Individual Events and meet the guidelines for the Thespys are eligible to participate in the Thespys at the International Thespian Festival in Bloomington, IN during June. These guidelines can be found online at www.schooltheatre.org.
Students may choose from the following INDIVIDUAL EVENTS: Monologue, Duet Acting, Solo Musical Theatre, Group Musical Theatre
The following are the only ways to qualify for Individual Event at the Louisiana Thespian Conference:
1. Must be registered for the entire Festival
2. Participants may be registered for only one performance Individual Event.
3. Participants may NOT perform with members of other troupes.
4. All Performance Individual Events are limited to 5 minutes after the correct introduction; the exception is Monologue which has a 3 minute total limit. The 5 minutes begins after the correct introduction. Any performances that go over the time limit will be disqualified. However, they will be allowed to complete their performance. The disqualification will be noted on the critique sheet. There will be no 1,2,3,4, or 5-minute warnings.
5. All participants must use the correct introduction which should ONLY include: entrant’s name, troupe number, the title of selection(s), and the name of the playwright, composer or lyricist.
6. No theatrical makeup is allowed in any event. Costumes are not allowed. Entrants must wear all black clothing when performing or presenting their IE, so the judges can clearly tell an entrant is not wearing a costume. Clothing should be appropriate to the situation and should easily accommodate the action of a scene such as sitting, kneeling, dancing, lying down, etc. Students should also wear black shoes. Students should refrain from wearing anything that might distract the judges.
7. Props of any kind or not allowed and will result in disqualification.
8. All Individual Events should be well-rehearsed, “polished” and in “good taste.” Vulgarity and foul language are not permitted.
9. Each act must have permission to perform their selection from the publisher. Click here for acceptable material.
10. Must register and pay an Individual Event fee of $10.00.
11. Must meet the Festival deadline.
12. Each Individual Events participant must supply their own CD player or blue tooth speaker if music is required. No CD player, blue tooth speaker or piano will be available at the Festival.
13. Each school may register as many as three (3) acts in the performance Individual Events.
14. Only the Individual Events participant and one director will be allowed in the room for each Individual Event.
15. Substitutions of students are not allowed.
16. Consult the tentative schedule for the Individual Events times.